June is National Garage Door Safety Month
The largest moving part on your home is the garage door. Being raised and lowered an average of four times a day, it may also be the hardest working part. More than 70 percent of homeowners enter and leave their home through the garage door. To keep it in good working order, like any other part of your home, it requires regular maintenance and repair. If a garage door is incorrectly installed or not properly functioning, it can exert strong forces that can lead to serious injury. Studies show that about 1 in every 15 homes have a garage door that is not up to the current safety standards. When it comes to the safety of your family, friends, children, and pets, those numbers simply are not acceptable.
That's why Discount Garage Door wants to make you aware that June is National Garage Door Safety Month. We are dedicated to providing safe and reliable products for our customers. This presents us with the perfect opportunity to give homeowners some practical tips for keeping garage doors in proper working order. Summer is a good time to perform safety inspections and tune-ups on garage doors. Always have a professional inspect and make any repairs or replacements, but here are a few things that you can do:
- Teach children about garage door safety. Explain that fingers should never be placed between door sections or near the rollers. Place the control switch for the garage door opener at least 5 feet above the floor so that small children can't reach it and remind them that the garage door opener is not a toy.
- Visually inspect the garage door and all of its parts, checking for any frayed or worn cables and looking at springs, rollers and pulleys for any signs of wear.
- Check that the door opens and closes smoothly. If not, the springing system may need to be adjusted or replaced.
- Make sure the opener’s automatic reversal is working. To test a garage door opener, place a roll of paper towels under the door, and lower it. When the door hits the towels, it should reverse. If it doesn't, have it checked.
- Gauge the age of your garage door springs. They are tightly wound and can cause damage or injury if they wear out and break.
Above all, safety first! If you notice any issues with the condition of your garage door, do not attempt to fix them yourself, you may do more harm than good. The safest route is to contact the trained technicians from Discount Garage Door, who can safely examine it, make any needed repairs or replacements, and keep your garage door operating safely and smoothly, not just in June, but all year round.