Winterize Your Garage in 30 Minutes Flat
It certainly may not feel like it here in Oklahoma, but winter is right around the corner. In a lot of places across the country, it’s been in full swing for a while now. If you haven’t already, this weekend is a good time to fully winterize your garage before the winter weather hits or you head out of town for the holidays. While this may sound like a daunting task, it can actually be accomplished in under half an hour with things you probably already have at home:
- Check the weather stripping: take a moment check any weather stripping around the edges and at the bottom of the door. Replace any damaged areas with new material. If your garage has windows or other external doors, check any weather stripping around those as well.
- Check your batteries: both in your garage door remote and the external keypad—if you have one. Trust us—you don’t want to have to do this later when it stops working in a snow storm.
- Check your springs: pull the emergency release cord on your garage door and try gently opening the door on your own. If it seems overly difficult, there could be a problem with your torsion springs. DO NOT try to fix this on your own—always call the professional at Discount Garage Door for this dangerous job.
- Cover switches and outlets: like door gaps and siding cracks, external outlets can let drafts into your home. Cover any that aren’t in use.
- Wash your garage door: washing your door makes it look better, yes, but it also keeps your door working better for longer by cutting through dirt, dust and any other buildup on the door.
If you have extra time on your hands, here are a few more things you can do:
- Waterproof the floor: a coat of epoxy will keep the floor dry and make it less likely that you’ll slip coming in from the ice and snow.
- Drain gas-powered tools: you can store the extra fuel in a gas canister in case you need it for a car or generator.
- Reorganize: move everything you’re not going to use for the next couple months—think beach gear and gardening tools—to the back of your closets and make things like snow shovels and salt more accessible.
If you notice any problems with your garage door, or just want the professionals to come take a closer look, call the Discount Garage Door crew. In the greater Tulsa area—including Broken Arrow, Owasso, Bixby, Jenks, Sand Springs, Bartlesville and more—you can call us at (918) 234-3667. In the Oklahoma City area, you can call us at (405) 525-3667. In Southern OKC—including Moore, Norman and more—call (405) 848-6700. In Edmond or Stillwater, call (405) 348-2000. You can also go to the “Free Quote” section of our website to get started on an estimate right away!